I turned some of my first resin castings into pens that turned out when I didn’t think they were able to be turned. The resin didn’t fill the tube in molds, so the tubes were exposed. I did some research and found a shorter blank/body Wall Street II kit, so I took the blanks to the disc sander and sanded them down to the appropriate blank length. I used the tube from the kit as a reference to get the cast blank the right size.
After getting the blanks to the correct size, I went ahead and mounted them to the mandrel on the lathe. At this point I was able to turn both blanks. I knew these blanks had some issues on the surface, so I frequently stopped to check my progress and make sure everything was still workable.
Turning Alumilite resin is a treat because I love how smoothly it comes off the blanks. Additionally, I purchased an extra set of Wall Street II bushings, which allowed me to turn two blanks at once, so I was able to assemble two pens at the end instead of just one.
Once I turned the blanks down to the diameter if the bushings, I started to sand the blanks. I dry sand with 220 grit, 400 grit, 1,000 grit, and 2,000 grit. Normally after I dry sand I start wet sanding with Micro Mesh, but one of the blanks had a small void in it, so I filled the void with CA glue, and dry sanded that blank one more time to make sure the CA was flush with the blank. It was after I dry sanded the blank with the void for the second time that i went ahead and wet sanded from 1,500 grit, up to 12,000 grit. This gave the blanks a really nice shine.
I finished the banks after wet sanding with a coat of paste wax and HUT Ultra Gloss Polish. I used two applications of polish and this really made the blanks look great!
Assembly of the pens went together just like any other Wall Street II kit. I started by pressing the cap into the body of each pen. When placing the cap, I made sure that the clip covered the defect on the blank that I mentioned earlier. No one will see the defect, and it turned out to be a gorgeous pen. I put the spring on the ink refill, put the refill into the nib of the pen, then threaded the transmission of each pen. Once I threaded the transmission, I tested said transmission and had an awesome fit and action. Finally. I pressed the body of each pen onto the nibs, and I had two completed Wall Street II grip pens!
This was an excellent way to use seemingly useless castings and turn them into something special.
Thanks for checking out and reading this article. if you feel like my content is worthy, you can support me on Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/crosscutcreations), or make a one time donation through PayPal. If you have any questions, or comments, feel free to reach out to me!