Yesterday I posted a video documenting my first resin casting experience. This was a new skill I wanted to learn and I have a plethora of resources. As I went through my first cast, I realized this is something I really enjoy. For my first cast, I used Alumalite clear. This resin is a two part resin – Part A (resin) and Part B (hardener). The ratio is 1:1 (A:B). This makes it easy to remember and it’s also nice that it’s easy to turn.
I started by laying out my cups and marked them A or B depending on which part I was pouring. I did a three color pour, which included Phoenix Orange, Midnight Purple, and Teal at the suggestion of Greg Bonier. (Thanks, Greg!) I was prepared to pour resin into a four blank mold with each cavity being 7/8″x7/8″x5.25″ blanks. I also got a tube-in mold for Sierra type pens. When I finished pouring the resin for the four blank mold, I had enough resin to pour into the tube-in molds. Because I wasn’t prepared to use the tube-in molds, the extra resin started to set up and the cast wasn’t really pretty. This turned out okay though, because the “ugly” portion turned off nicely and left an awesome finished blank.
After pouring the resin into the molds, I put the molds in the pressure pot for two hours at 50 psi. I took the blanks out after two hours and realized I forgot the mold release, but this wasn’t the end of the world as the blanks popped out of the molds relatively easily. I did have some additional issues with the tube-in castings, but I will detail that at another time.
I plan on doing another casting video at some point where I’ll detail the process I use in a future video in more detail. I absolutely love casting, and now I need more resin. Tim to go sell a few pens to be able to afford more resin!
If you have any questions, comments, or anything else, feel free to contact me!